As mentioned earlier, the committee was established in 1996. However, it was not until July 1999 that the committee formulated regulations on interactive games. In other words, the KGC board of directors consists of up to three members, and each member has a term of 2 years. The current committee members are Lori Jacobs, Melanie Mayo and Chairman Mark Jocks. As expected, a team of professionals, approved agents, and internal personnel assist the commissioner.
Legitimacy of the committee
Interestingly, the Canadian government has never challenged the legality of KGC in court. Kahnawake’s Mohawk Committee has steadily insisted that it has full rights to establish any gaming regulatory agency. However, in July 2007, the commission was sued for refusing to issue a permit, which was a small accident. Fortunately, the Quebec High Court ruled in favor of KGC.
Types of KGC license
One of the reasons most online gambling operators choose this regulatory agency is that it offers different licenses. For gambling operators that provide multiple types of gambling services, this may come in handy.
The following are the main types of KGC licenses:
- CPA (Customer Provider Authorization)-KGC issues such licenses to more than 20 operating companies. The valid holder of the license can provide online gambling services such as sports betting, casinos and poker rooms.
- IGL (Interactive Game License)-Since 1999, only Mohawk Internet Technologies has held this license.
- IJA (Inter-jurisdictional Authorization)-This license is only available for legal entities that have an interactive gaming license in another jurisdiction. The company in question should seek to relocate to the Mohawk Territory in Kahnawake.
- KPL (Key Person License)-Issued to those who operate or manage the functions of a company with a CPA. Crucially, Mohawk Internet Technologies (MIT) hosts all gaming sites licensed by KGC. This makes it easier for Canadian authorities to conduct on-site inspections.
Physical gambling license
- In the past ten years, KGC has licensed “regional” games. For example, since October 2007, the committee has been issuing licenses to poker rooms. However, there are certain restrictions on the approved social clubs that can operate poker rooms. Currently, the number is four. They include the Knights of Columbus Hall, the Royal Canadian Legion, Kanawake Pier and Moose Lodge.
With this in mind, the committee currently only permits three land-based poker rooms. They are Snake’s Poker Club, Playground Poker Club and VIP Poker Enterprise. As always, the complexity of these venues varies.
Kahnawake official logo
All gambling sites licensed by KGC should clearly display the official logo of the committee. This clearly shows that the gambling site is safe and certified. To know whether KGC licenses a specific casino or sports betting, scroll to the bottom of the homepage and click on the Kahnawake Gaming Commission logo. Here you will also see the logos of other license operators, software providers and payment methods.
The territory of Kahnawake has an excellent record and can effectively handle disputes between players and gambling operators. The agency cooperates with relevant parties to obtain timely and fair solutions. According to the specific circumstances, the committee can assign full-time personnel to investigate and resolve this issue.